Domain RegistrationYour domain is the foundation for your online presence, your plot of land on the internet. Use these tips to choose the one that is right for you.
- Stay on brand: Make sure your domain can easily identify your business, organization, or purpose.
- Less is more: The shorter a domain name is, the easier it will be for your customers to remember.
- .com is king: If the name you want is available as a .com, get it.
- Alternatives to .com are okay: People have been registering .com domains for over 20 years - so the name you want may be taken. If it is, choose an extension that is either popular (like .net, .org, or .co), or an extension that identifies who you are or what you do (.club, .gallery, or .lawyer). There are hundreds of domain extensions - you'll be able to find one that is right for you.
- Privately register your domain: Keeping your personal information off of the Whois database is almost always something you should do. This database is like the phone book for domains, and is frequently crawled by marketing bots and scripts to send emails that range from scams to spam messages.
- Protect your domain: Your website, domain-based email, and SEO all hinge on your domain. If you can afford to register it for a few years up front, it is always worth the investment.